Automatic Payment Plan Frequently Asked Questions
Provided by Nelnet Business Solutions, HCC's automatic payment plan is a convenient, interest-free and affordable option for budgeting tuition and other educational expenses.
- No. It is not a loan program. This means you have no debt, there are no interest or finance charges assessed and there is no credit check. The only cost to budget monthly payments through an automatic payment plan is a $25 per semester, non-refundable enrollment fee.
- Yes! You can pay your monthly installments or single lump sum payment online through an Automatic Bank Payment (ACH). These are payments that you have authorized Nelnet Business Solutions to process directly with your financial institution. It is simply a bank-to-bank transfer of funds.
- Yes! You can pay your monthly installments or single lump sum payment online using your VISA, MasterCard, Discover or American Express. If you choose this option, your monthly payment will be automatically charged to the credit/debit card you designate. Payments made in full online using a credit card will be charged a $2 enrollment fee. Credit card payments are always processed on the payment date, regardless of bank holidays.
- No. In accordance with the terms and conditions of your automatic payment plan agreement, payments are processed electronically. Nelnet Business Solutions does not accept payments by phone.
- Nelnet Business Solutions specifies the date each payment will occur, but it is your financial institution that determines the time of day the payment is debited. Nelnet recommends you check with your financial institution to determine how far in advance funds should be deposited into your account to ensure the automatic payment clears. If a payment date falls on a weekend or banking holiday, the payment will be attempted the following business day.
- If a payment is returned, a $30 missed payment fee will be assessed for each returned payment. Your financial institution may also assess a fee. If the first payment is missed, or any three payments after the first are missed, you will be removed from the payment plan.
- Once your agreement has been processed in the automatic payment plan system, you will receive a confirmation notification of your payment amount by email or letter. Payments will be processed until the total balance is paid in full. The notification has important information you must have to log on to your automatic payment plan account. The notification also serves as a reminder that a $25 per semester non-refundable automatic payment plan enrollment fee will be processed from the account indicated on the agreement.
- No. Monthly Automatic Bank Payment (ACH) and credit/debit card installments are made on the 5th or 20th of each month until the balance is paid in full.
- Yes! Simply register for classes on campus. Then follow the directions to sign up.
Yes! The choices vary by term. You can spread your payments over as many as 6 months. The earlier you enroll in the payment plan, the more options you will have. Some options require an initial down payment.
- Yes! Consult the automatic payment plan guide for a complete schedule. You can also call the Heartland Community College Cashier at 309-268-8140 for additional information or assistance.
- No, the enrollment fee is a non-refundable expense to cover Nelnet Business Solutions costs.
- Yes, you must sign up for a new payment plan each semester. Enrollment is simple because you can use the same banking information that you used last semester. There will be another enrollment fee of $25 for each semester.
- To help protect your privacy, Nelnet Business Solutions asks the person responsible for the payments to create an access code. If you should call into Nelnet or inquire online through your automatic payment plan account, you will be required to verify your access code. If you do not create an access code on your automatic payment plan agreement, one will be randomly assigned to you. Your access code will be identified on your automatic payment plan confirmation notification. Please remember to keep a copy of your confirmation notification.
- You can call Nelnet Business Solutions at 800-609-8056 or the Heartland Community College Business Office at 309-268-8140. Please make sure you have your Heartland student ID number available before calling.
- You should contact the Heartland Community College Business Office at 309-268-8140. Changes to your automatic payment plan balance must be made by the College. It is your responsibility to notify the Business Office of any changes to your payment plan balance.